Monday 16 February 2009

The Wanderers by Sean O'Hagen

Sean O'Hagen on U2's new album 'No Line On The Horizon' from 'The Observer' here.

The first times that I saw U2 was when they were the support act in various small pubs in London 1980. Nothing special I thought. When 'Boy' came out I didn't mind it and even bought it.
Then they started losing me and I had the misfortune to see them headline a festival in Belgium in 85 and it was horrible. Bono in full preacher mode.
However when 'Achtung Baby' came out I really thought that it was an interesting development and tried to persuade a lot of my friends who also didn't like U2 that it was worth listening to.
Over the years since then U2 have lost me again and Bono still irritates me beyond belief.
Reading the article by Paddy Dread* above has at least made me curious as to what the new album sounds like.

*Paddy Dread was the name Sean gave to the cops when we all had our names taken when the police raided a gig by Test Dept that was to have taken place at the 'Titan' railway arch in Waterloo, London in November 1983.

No comments:

Post a Comment