Wednesday 11 February 2009

'Sam' becomes an international star


This astonishing photo was on the cover of yesterday's 'Herald Sun' here in Melbourne.
Koalas do not usually behave like that as they are so timid.

"SAM became the most famous koala in the world when firefighter David Tree stopped to give her a drink amid the devastation."

Pictures of Sam, travelled around the globe and featured in major newspapers including The New York Times, London's The Sun and on CNN.The image provided a much-needed picture of hope in a week filled with news of despair. Yesterday Sam was recovering in Mountain Ash Wildlife Shelter.
Full story here.

UPDATE: this video has now surfaced.


David Tree, the firefighter said he was in the middle of backburning at Mirboo North when he saw the stricken koala. “I could see she had sore feet and was in trouble, so I pulled over the fire truck. She just plonked herself down, as if to say ‘I’m beat’,” he said.

“I offered her a drink and she drank three bottles.

“The most amazing part was when she grabbed my hand. I will never forget that.”

Mr Tree and his brigade then received an emergency call-out to save a house, but minutes later Sam was picked up by wildlife carers.

2 comments:

  1. I totally welled up reading about her and David the fire~fighter. Sigh. I hear Sam has found a boyfriend called Bob at the animal sanctuary they are both convalescing in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes - it was one of the few good stories to come out of this absolute fugn tragedy, the American pisstake on TMZ or whatever didn't go down well. That and Leonard Cohen's unbelievable generosity!!! True love has a weird way of working, Bob obviously recognised a fellow traumatized koala...tears welled up in my eyes quite a few times these last days believe me!!!
    Regards/

    ReplyDelete