Friday 16 April 2021

Alisa Shea

I paint in watercolor because it scares me. I love its quirky unpredictability. I love the twinge of anxiety I feel every time I put down a color, knowing that I've often only got one shot to get it right. Piggybacking on my Instagram addiction, I paint from my own photographic reference material. I typically pick my subjects based on perceived level of difficulty; if it's something that I’m not sure I can successfully reproduce in watercolor, then that's the one I want to paint next. I am a control freak, and it's this combination of subject matter and medium that make for an overachieving, perfectionist’s dream, providing just enough of a challenge to make the whole process a tension-filled whirlwind of creative excitement. I start painting first thing in the morning, and the next thing I know it's mid afternoon. Hours have gone by, but to me, no time has passed. My anxieties about everyday trivialities simply fade away and I'm transported to a place where nothing else matters but light and shadow and color… and it is SO GOOD. So that's where I'm at right now. Welcome to my encore 

No comments:

Post a Comment