Sunday 21 March 2021

And another thing...

It goes without saying that you should be following Joan Cornellà


Great. Just when I'd learnt how to pronounce Eyjafjallajökull

The Common Breath has a great interview with one my favourite Scottish novelists Alan Warner and there is an excerpt from his new novel 434 here. White Rabbit founded by Lee Brackstone ex of the Fabre Social (the music and culture side of Faber has now been integrated into Faber Books itself ) are certainly getting a formidable catalogue together in my eyes at least and Lee has been offering great metal WR logo badges (the Tufty Club for deviants) completely free no matter where are you are in the world so do follow him on Twitter An interview with Alan here at The Guardian and their review by M John Harrison

Glasgow writer James Kelman's site is also worth checking out espacially in the media section where interesting articles, essays and interviews are posted.

I posted an old set from Crown of Thorns the other day here's a video I shot at the local pub in Fairfield where Chris was brought up and this song below was based on a real incident at the Alphington 7/11 many years ago Here's the wonderful Live At The Continental album with Shane O'Mara on guitars and Jex Saarelaht on piano and organ with Chris on vocals and harmonica Here's a documentary about the album 23 years on  

Jason Lee's film journal is also worth checking out

A new interview with Jonathan Richman at Aquarium Drunkard

Why America fails at gathering hate crime statistics 

Following on from the On-U Sound posts here's ten minutes of Prince Far I & Creation Rebel backstage in Zurich 1983 and here's my x-wife's memory of the man with the 'voice of thunder':

It was Wednesday, so it's reggae night at Dingwalls and the night was just starting, no one in yet. This guy comes up to the bar and orders a Snowball, which is advocaat and lemonade. I may have rolled my eyes, but I might not have done anything at all either. I was usually polite to customers. The liqueurs are at the other end of the bar and, I mean, it's a Snowball-messy to make, generally a pain.
I bring it back to him and he orders another. Couldn't he have ordered both at the same time? Then he orders another, then another, until there are seven Snowballs in front of him, all ordered one at a time. I'm well pissed off by this time. It's obvious he's winding me up and he gets more cocky with every order.
I tell him how much it's going to cost and he says, "I don't pay," in his Jamaican accent, deep voice, slow and deliberate. But I didn't know that he was "someone," unlike us plebs bar staff. Seven bloody Snowballs there and this guy isn't going to pay.
I'm so pissed off that I start to climb over the bar to have a go at him (not sure what I would have actually done. I've never actually fought someone. But I came close to getting into my first bar fight that night.) Probably lucky for me that Kevin the bar manager was nearby and he grabbed my collar to pull me back, telling Prince Far I that of course he doesn't have to pay and whispering to me that he's tonight's star attraction and its part of the rider.

I never have forgiven Prince Far I for those Snowballs. When Tim plays his music now I still remember that night. RIP.

Finally raise your glass of whatever to the man who turned 85 yesterday

No comments:

Post a Comment