Monday 15 March 2021

Over a Decade of Recording Black Cab Live

Photographs of me recording and Andrew and James playing at Cherry back in 2013 by Gennady Revzin
From the Doesn't Time Fly Dept
I first started recording Black Cab gigs when they did three or four Sunday arvo shows at the old Cherry Bar here in Melbourne back in 2011
The first thing to note is that these gigs were free entry and from memory were not very well attended at all, so much so that I seem to recall that the last Sunday gig was cancelled But this was the start of the band becoming a radically different beast than previously or as BC's Andrew said the other day to me: 
Those Cherry shows were tough but we hacked a new sound there. The Shabeen gigs were also super formative. We miss that place...
I'd been catching Black Cab as much as I could since first coming across their debut album Altamont Diary. Really not sure if it was just the concept of the album that caught my attention, their cover of the GOGD's New Speedway Boogie or Channel 10 using this as their station promo for a while. I haven't watched TV for over a decade now but what on earth made someone think that a suitable jingle for the upcoming summer TV fare of one of Australia's three commercial networks should be a track from an album about Altamont, which let's face it was one of the final nails in the coffin containing the carcass of the sixties dream. Personally I think the sixties dream ended on the 6th October 1966
Combat Boots (Cherry Bar Melbourne 10/11) Combat Boots (Corner Hotel Melbourne 1/21)
+
Here's some other BC shows I recorded over the years in Melbourne 
Full set from The Tote (July 2014)  My War @Shebeen (Jan 2015) Full set fom The Corner (July 17 2015)  Three tracks from 170 Russell (Dec 6 2015) Full set from Howler (May 6 2016) And finally four tracks from Nighthawks (Jan 2020) 
Race Hearts On Fire Bad Robot & Untitled All of the above recordings have been tweaked by Andrew from the band. There were other full sets that I posted straight from the Tascam but they are no longer hosted on the original servers sadly

No comments:

Post a Comment