Saturday 27 August 2022

Tim Page: The Clash Under The Westway Overpass Notting Hill (1982)

Buy Blotter Variant 
"What do you say about The Clash? This was in 1982. Such is my exposure to music. These are my offerings about music. I got a call out of nowhere to come to their practice studio when they were doing Combat Rock. They had a manager called Kosmos Vinyl. I met them at this pub, and we went over to their studio and Joe Strummer just gave me a big shopping bag -- I hadn't heard their music -- a full shopping bag of all their EPs and their LPs, and a biiiiiiiig, big lump of hash. Then they played about 4-5 numbers from Combat Rock and said, 'Can you come on tour with us?" and I said, 'I'd love to.'  
I didn't know really know who they were. Then they said, 'we'd also want to buy a bunch of your images to project onstage during the tour.' So I went 'oh fuck. yeah.' and then the till was ringing again. I went on tour with them through France. It was sex, drugs and rock and roll. It was pure fucking insanity. It was all a lot of fun. Then I did two or three concerts in the UK. If you're not quite sure what fucking day it is because you're so fucked up. You're back on the coke just to do another performance, then you've gotten so involved since you're backstage. 
I'm looking after bimbos, I plan on taking pictures, but I'm struggling to make sense of my life because of drugs and alcohol. It was a great time, but it was a totally gonzo tour. I had no idea who the Clash were. Then at the time they had just launched this incredible album Combat Rock. So it was a real treat to go on tour and shoot pictures for them, and have my pictures projected. Jesus. What more could you want?"

No comments:

Post a Comment