Friday 4 June 2021

All I Need Mix

Tracklist: 
1 So In Love - Curtis Mayfield 
2 I Surrender - David Sylvian 
3 The Sweetest Girl (NME C81 Version) - Scritti Politti 
4 I Never Asked To Be Your Mountain - Beth Orton & The Chemical Brothers 
5 In The Air Tonight (Ben Liebrand Extended Version) - Phil Collins 
6 Breathless - Deborah Conway 
7 Do You Really Want To Hurt Me/Dub - Culture Club 
8 My Woman - Bim Sherman 
9 All I Need - Method Man 
10 Life's What You Make It (Fluke Remix) - Talk Talk 
11 Love So True (Depth Charge Remix) - Bomb The Bass 
12 Victory Horns - Jesse Rae & The Strange Parcels

I'm just waiting for people that know me to spot Phil Collins in this mix. I only heard this version the other day and fuck it is good. It's weird tho this extended version of In The Air is from a release in 88 where the B side is a 88 remix which is fugn horrible but I can't see any releases that have the Extended Version on them from back in 81. All the 12" singles of it from then are still 2 mins shorter and as I said I'd never heard it before. Curious. (Just solved it. It is remixed by Ben Liebrand so has to be from 88 too and seems to have just been released as a European 12"
I was in Liverpool at my Nans when that song originally came out and Tony Wilson (Factory Records) presented the local news (but VERY differently)...anyway he said that if that song was by anyone else we would all hail it as a masterpiece. Ha, I thought, what does he know? But a few years ago I took my youngest son Spacey down to watch fireworks at the Docklands here in Melbourne and when they played it everyone started grooving (me included) 
Also the Scritti Sweetest Girl version is from the NME cassette C81 and has only ever been released on that. An own goal by Green and Rough Trade there. They didn't release the other version from the album in UK  as a single for ages and we were importing and selling bucketloads of copies of the German release. 
As for Culture Club well I still like this song and when I was working at Honky Tonk Records in London's Kentish Town the rastas would turn up when the pre's were delivered and after buying whatever they would then say 'and something for the lady'...Lover's Rock sounds usually and I would sneak in Culture Club and get approval from the girls and see a foot tap from the guy but I'd made sure the sleeve was hidden up to this point and getting it to put the record in the rasta would always say "me no buying batty bwoy record" or some such shit. I also got in for free to their (fairly early) gig at Heaven to launch this song and they were brilliant tho I did feel very out of place without a lampshade on my head! Finally a shout out to Sue Clowse whose design work for them was particularly good.  
She had also designed a T shirt for Honky Tonk I had that featured Maggie Thatcher's head on Lonnie Donegan's body and Nigel who owned HT had some great curtains designed by her too
I had this tee

Sue Clowes Designs for The Foundry and Culture Club

No comments:

Post a Comment