Saturday 27 March 2010

'In Sorrow's Grace' by Sara Tritt

This piece by Award Winning British poet
Sara Tritt has been slated for inclusion in Angela Bowie's forthcoming anthology 'AIDS Begone'
'In Sorrow's Grace'


It was dawn
Beautiful, and quiet
You lay your head
Against my chest
And hummed out
My heartbeat

I love you
I love you
I still love you…
I wish you would
Wake up
And smile

There were shadows
On the snow
Do you remember?
The day you packed your bags
That test we all took
From time to time
Just a formality
Suddenly formed
Black clouds

I unpacked your clothes
And kissed your tears away
You took my hand…
We will be together
In another world
Perhaps we
Already are

All the seas
Could not wash away
The sterile, clinical smell
From our clothes
Our hair

They all stared
Let them you smiled
And squeezed my hand

You did not belong
To your disease
You were mine
Until it took you from me

I love you
I love you
I still love you.



2 comments:

  1. STILL CAN'T READ WITH DRY EYES!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 2Sara (and David)
    An astonishing poem (and this on the anniversary of when my Mum killed herself back in the 70's!) Yeah...not a dry eye here either!
    Regards/

    ReplyDelete