Thursday 25 June 2009

Eye witness account

I am an Iranian-American student in Iran. I just got back from Baharestan and here’s what I saw. I got there around 3:45 pm Tehran time and about 500-1000 people were mulling around the subway station and park across the street from the Majles. The police presence was slim so people were just waiting in the shade to see what was coming. Then it police and pasdaran started arriving from all sides and moving people away. First, from the subway stop, then from the sidestreets and sidewalks, and then from the major streets surrounding it. Of course they were polite first (Iranian custom dies hard), but no one really left when asked. I circled around several times to see if people would resist. More people were arriving from all sides. Some whispered that that everyone was going to another place, but that didn’t convince many. The lack of organization was palpable - people were expecting something but they didn’t know what. Mousavi to jump out of a moving car? Khatami to swing in like Toby McGuire?

Finally the more ominous looking black-clad guards showed up and started phalanxes that cleared the sidewalks. I was a block away until about 4:30 and heard no shots, and only heard about some beatings via others in the crowd. One phalanx came my way so I ducked into an alley, and then they turned down the same alley looking very goon squad-like so I just headed away. If there were hardcore protesters that stayed after that then I’m sure they had trouble coming. On my way back from Imam Khomeini metro station (where police were also posted outside in the square) I noticed that Baharestan metro stop had been closed - the train passed it without stopping.

Even so, the police presence was nothing like the massive buildup in Enghelab square from Saturday onwards.

Via TheLede


No comments:

Post a Comment