Sunday 26 April 2009

The day I shook Jack Black's* father-in-law's hand & why I want to kill TimN

Federation Square


Charlie Haden & TimN

Well that wasn't planned really well at all!
There was (as previously mentioned) a free concert in Melbourne today by Charlie Haden and his (Australian) Liberation Music Orchestra.
Originally to have been held in Federation Square in the heart of Melbourne, due to the expected bad weather it was moved to the 'Edge' auditorium within the Fed Square complex.
The result of this was that not everyone who wanted to see the concert was going to get in.
Unfortunately I missed the train that I wanted to catch and therefore by the time that I got into the city the queue to get into the gig obviously had more people than were going to get inside.
It had been arranged that it would be broadcast outside to those that couldn't get in but instead of showing it on the big screen it was shown on a little screen in the atrium.
This was not obviously going to be an optimum viewing experience.
Ordering a coffee I sat down to watch the gig and felt that I really might as well be reviewing the cup of coffee instead. (It was OK, but an honourable mention goes to the chirpiest barrista ever, though as she said it had been a twelve and a half hour very busy day and it might have just been delirium!)
I also had a brief chat with Jamie & 'Raze' (?) who had stopped by before going off to see this at the Comedy Festival which is overlapping with the International Jazz Festival here in vibrant Melbourne at the moment.
It was about a third of the way through the gig that I noticed that the door security staff had changed so I thought that I would attempt to get inside saying that I had just been to the toilet and 'hey presto' there I was inside.
It was a pretty restrained and polite performance certainly nothing like the previous time I had seen them in London back in the seventies or early eighties.
Anyway who should I bump into but TimN whose photographs of Patti Smith, Nick Cave, Spiritualized, Leonard Cohen and Michael Gira amongst others have apeared on this site in the past.
At the end of the show we decided to go and have a chat with Charlie Haden and I was given Tim's camera to take a shot of the two of them and then was informed that there was no room left on the memory card with the result that I DIDN'T get my photo taken in the company of Mr. Haden!!!
(At least I take some solace in the fact that TN looks like an idiot in the photographs above but good to see his hair is growing back!!!)
My other bit of bad planning occured to me just as I saw someone take their vinyl copy of the first Liberation Music Orchestra album out of their bag to get it signed and thought WHY didn't I bring my copy?
Charlie said we will do it next time.
I look forward to it.

* Yes that Jack Black!
(Thanx to Joseph for services rendered!)

Also my apologies to the 'melbdeadheads' crew for not thinking of meeting up until it was too late!


(Charlie Haden photos by TimN)

There is a good review of the gig here which also includes a link to download Charlie Haden's interview with Andrew Ford on Radio National the day before.

3 comments:

  1. You are a bitch Mona, my dear!
    luvyaanyway
    tXXX

    ReplyDelete
  2. The man who played with Ornette!

    ReplyDelete
  3. 2ElHI/
    The one and only...
    Still pissed off I didn't take that album w/ me tho. Oh well hey-ho!
    Regards/

    ReplyDelete