Wednesday 15 April 2009

It was 20 years ago today (3:06PM)









It is 20 years today since 96 Liverpool fans were crushed to death at Hillsborough Stadium in Sheffield

'BBC' audio archive & slideshow here.
Full story here.


Report of the memorial service at Anfield from the 'BBC' here.
Mike Bracken on the ongoing fight for recognition of what really happened from 'The Guardian' here.
The Hillsborough Justice Campaign here.


The former editor of The Sun, Kelvin MacKenzie, has reportedly claimed that the newspaper's allegations about Liverpool supporters at Hillsborough was "the truth". The Sun famously claimed that Liverpool fans had caused the tragedy (which resulted in the loss of 96 lives) by drunkenly storming the gates, and also alleged that fans urinated on the bodies of the dead and pickpocketed them.
Then-editor MacKenzie made a grovelling apology the next day, but The Sun is still boycotted by many Liverpool fans because of those horrendous accusations. The paper then issued a formal apology in 2004, saying they were "truly sorry" for making "the most terrible mistake in history." However, in a stunning display of insensitivity, MacKenzie has now apparently told a business lunch in Newcastle that he was forced to apologise by owner Rupert Murdoch and he still stands by his allegations.
"I went on the World at One the next day and apologised. I only did that because Rupert Murdoch told me to," he said, according to the Liverpool Echo. "I wasn't sorry then and I'm not sorry now because we told the truth. There was a surge of Liverpool fans who had been drinking and that is what caused the disaster." All The Sun's allegations were disproved by the Justice Taylor inquiry into the tragedy.

There is only one word for this man but I won't print it here.

The youngest person to die that day was Steven Gerrard's 10 year old cousin.



3 comments:

  1. My team (Chelsea) were at Leicester that day and lost their 28 game unbeaten in Division Two. I didn't go to the game so like many thousands of others,I found myself watching Grandstand as the tragedy unfolded.

    I will never forget it and really affected me despite me having no affiliation with LFC. I was going to put something on my blog today but got pretty upset halfway through writing so I stopped. At the end of the day we are all football fans whatever team we support and when I'm at Wembley on Saturday evening sat in total comfort and safety at my teams FA Cup Semi Final then I have the Hillsborough Disaster to thank for that. Such a travesty 96 innocent people had to die because of Police incompetence : - (

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanx man! As a kid in the sixties and seventies my joy was being on the kop. A special treat as I was taken from Liverpool to Glasgow at the age of 6 months, so those holidays down in the 'pool were special. My grandad seemed to have the run of the place - I got Keegan's autograph straight after his debut in 71. I was crying when I was looking at the footage. No sport is worth death (and we must never forget Huysel either.) i am so glad you also didn't mention the midweek result tho it was a magnificent game.
    Regards/

    ReplyDelete
  3. What is it about Liverpool FC, Tuesdays,Playing London Teams and Drawing 4 4!

    Good old game that was tonight!

    ReplyDelete