Sunday 6 March 2011

Phil Collins Quits Music, Cites Health Problems

Phil Collins announced his plans to retire, citing medical issues as the primary reason. The artist said years of drumming resulted in multiple health problems, including hearing loss, a dislocated vertebra, and nerve damage in his hands.

People reports Collins as saying, “I don’t really belong to that world and I don’t think anyone’s going to miss me. I’m much happier just to write myself out of the script entirely.”

Collins adds, “I’m sorry that it was all so successful. I honestly didn’t mean it to happen like that. It’s hardly surprising that people grew to hate me.”

Collins boasts seven Grammy awards, an Oscar, multiple hit singles, and over 150 million albums sold as a solo artist, but still received criticism from both other artists and critics.

E! Online recalls Oasis drummer Noel Gallagher’s past statement saying, “You don’t have to be great to be successful. Look at Phil Collins.”

Collins appears to have already moved past the music industry, moving to Switzerland with his two sons. In 2009, Collins discussed his pending retirement on the Genesis Web site after a neck injury rendered playing the drums and piano impossible.

“I was going to stop drumming anyway,” Collins said. “I had stopped. I don’t miss it.”

2 comments:

  1. He should have done a Gabriel ear Genesis reunion show .... but a 'comeback' is always lucrative...

    ReplyDelete