Sunday 26 December 2010

The 'Exile' charts for 2010

The editors here at 'Exile' digging HerrB's choices!

BrandDNA
Weirdly my fave album was an EP not an album. Although given it ran 59 mins I'm classing it as an album.
Album: Sufjan Stevens – All delighted people
My best album for the year however was the Deutsche Elektronische Musik compilation.
Reissue: Dexys Midnight Runners - Searching for the young soul rebels
Song: Sufjan Stevens - Impossible Soul
Don't believe the hype: Ariel Pink

Dray
Bit of a problem for me cos I while I listen to loads of stuff most of the music I liked came out the year before... oh well here goes...
Album of the Year: On - Something That Has Form and Something That Does Not
Vinyl Album of the Year: Thomas Koner - La Barca
Song of the Year: Alva Noto/Blixa Bargeld - Ret Marut Handshake
Live Song of the Year: Swans - I Crawled (Live @ Birmingham)
Best thing I discovered this Year: Catherine Ribeiro
Band of the Year: Grinderman
Honourable mentions and respect go to King Midas Sound, Richard Skelton, Quantec
Comeback of the Year: me obviously LOLThings to look forward to for 2011: Tim Hecker - Ravedeath, 1972; and a SLAB album or two...and perhaps a TRNSND v MOSESMAN mix

HerrB
...as mona didn't accept my first edition because she didn't  think I was serious...So here we go:
Track of the year: 4'33 - The Secret Adrian Sherwood Master Mix
Album of the year: 4'33 - The Album
Compilation of the year: K-tel presents the Best of 50 Years 4'33 Cover Versions
Reissue of the year: Of course the original 4'33 John Cage version digitally remastered by Brian Eno
Hype of the year: see the entries above... 

Jacqueline_Anon
Album of the year: Mike Patton - Mondo Cane
Track of the year :Laurie Anderson - Only an Expert
Cover Song of the year: Beck and Thurston Moore sodomizing Yanni's 'Santorini'
Remix of the year: Grinderman - Super Heathen Child
Reissue of the year: David Bowie - Station to Station [Deluxe Edition]
Bootleg of the Year: Iggy And the Stooges Raw Power Live at Hammersmith 2010
Hype of the year: Neil Young - La Noise

Martin
Always hard remembering what came out at the beginning of the year, tend to focus on what I heard yesterday , great year for music, too much almost, so here goes
Band Of The Year: The Swans, still killing live and with a record up there with their best
Album Of The Year: Shackleton- Fabric 55, must be listened to as a piece, so 2010 but so 1980 but not like that contrived hauntogical sound
Cassette of The Year: Dem Hunger-Caveman Smack, like Flylo in hell.
Reissue Of The Year: Crass-The Crassical Collection, anarchy in hifi and Penny's not getting any younger Comp. Of The Year: Soul Jazz Records-Future Bass, does what it says
Track Of The Year: The Bug-Catch A Fire, just lovely but sinister
No hypes, hopefully past them now, really wanted to love the Darkstar one more than I did, maybe listen to it more. A whole year without any Skullflower releases that I won't listen to saved me a bit of cash, loads of free reggae out there which I've enjoyed discovering and expanding my mind and the FACT mixes which have never disappointed. A little more listening time next year would be great thanks.

Mona
Album of the year: Swans
Track of the year: Darkstar/Gold
Compilation of the year: Afro-Beat Airways (Ghana & Togo 1972-1979)
Reissue of the year: Dexys Midnight Runners - Searching For the Young Soul Rebels
Hype of the year: Exile on MAIN Street 
Surprise of the year: MGMT Congratulations

trnsnd
Best Artist: Soom-T
Best Live Show: Guided By Voices
Best Posthumous Comeback: Notorious B.I.G.
Album of the Year: absolutely nothing, sorry.
The "hip" world has become completely awash in music that I don't "get."
This is not to say that there aren't still great bands and great music getting made, but there is so much noise and so much hype and I'm currently disconnected from contemporary trends to the point that I rarely hear anything that even makes an impact on me anymore. I'm currently withdrawing into 4'33" of nature sounds. Cheers!
P.S. Honorary mention for the Swans new one. Michael Gira is definitely keeping it REAL.

No comments:

Post a Comment