Tuesday 8 June 2010

Reflections by a Former US Marine on the Mavi Marmara On Cowardice and Violence

Ken O'Keefe was on the Mavi Mamara, he describes some of the events as they unfolded for the people on board, from the taking of the ship to his and others experience imprisoned on land. From this experience he has issued a challenge to ANY Israeli apologists to debate him over the affair.
"Please explain how we, the defenders of the Mavi Mamara, are not the modern example of Gandhi’s essence? But first read the words of Gandhi himself. I do believe that, where there is only a choice between cowardice and violence, I would advise violence.... I would rather have India resort to arms in order to defend her honour than that she should, in a cowardly manner, become or remain a helpless witness to her own dishonour. – Gandhi And lastly I have one more challenge. I challenge any critic of merit, publicly, to debate me on a large stage over our actions that day. I would especially love to debate with any Israeli leader who accuses us of wrongdoing, it would be my tremendous pleasure to face off with you. All I saw in Israel was cowards with guns, so I am ripe to see you in a new context. I want to debate with you on the largest stage possible. Take that as an open challenge and let us see just how brave Israeli leaders are."

No comments:

Post a Comment