Thursday 13 May 2010

Smart Hate

As a college educator I hear it from my friends outside of the academy, especially those of my friends who lean to the right. Intellectuals are suspect. Somehow in America, being smart is a bad thing according to the political right. I will never forget a good friend, who is a staunch conservative sent me an article that smears President Obama by comparing him to a college president. The article is
HERE
He was interested in what I thought. My response was, "how is having a smart president a bad thing?" I never received an answer, which is too bad since that discussion has so much potential.
Now, in America, that discussion has risen to the top again with Obama's nomination of Elena Kagan to the Supreme Court.
HERE
Then there's the history teacher's room being vandalized by Tea Partiers:
HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment