Friday 16 April 2010

REpost: The weekend New York came to Glasgow ( May 1977)

What a double bill! 
The Friday night had seen The Ramones supported by Talking Heads at Strathclyde University.
Only The Ramones had played in the UK previously.
(I think I may have written about these gigs here before but what can I say...?
That weekend was the first time I met Allan Jones from the Melody Maker,  a story that he revisited in his regular column 'Stop Me If You have Heard This Before' at the back of 'Uncut', a couple of years ago.
It was very strange to be confronted with my 17 year old self especially as I was reading it with two of my kids who are older now than I was then.
I remarked that I had hardly changed - which I thought was good!
They thought that was tragic!)
A couple of other things...yes that was ANOTHER poster that I used to have and also Steven Daly from Orange Juice then, Vanity Fair now was working up in Listen Records at the time and he gave me a great recording of Television either from this night or of the only other time that they played in Glasgow the first time around (with the Only Ones supporting).
If anyone does have a copy of that still and wants to share...
What were the concerts like...what do you think? 
Ah memories!

No comments:

Post a Comment