Tuesday 20 April 2010

Capital Radio - The Tommy Vance Show (July 16 1977)

Johnny Rotten on Capital Radio
The interview was a turning point in people's perception of John Lydon and his public image. Malcolm McLaren and  Glitterbest hated it. They never wanted him to do it; and were horrified  at his record selections. However, this wasn't just a case of  breaking rank – if it ever even was – it was about music. MUSIC"Just play the records. They'll speak for themselves. That's my idea of  fun…" The records highlighted John's eclectic musical tastes, and his open-mind. Reggae, folk, soul, avant-garde, and good  old rock'n'roll, it was all there. And not a Stooges or Dolls record in sight.
Full transcript and tracklist @'Fodderstomph'
Handwritten recommendations for further reggae listening from Lydon
Get it 
(Thanx Stan!)

Longy over at 'Punk Friction' has an interview that JR and Sid did with John Tobler for Radio 1 in 1977.
You can grab that
HERE

6 comments:

  1. Fucking ace! Well nice find Mona. At first I thought it the same one on my blog featuring Johnny & Sid but fortunately its not. Cheers mate. Much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  2. this was a pivotal moment for many people, cos it meant it was ok to like Can and Peter Hammill and also it signified that Punk was most definitely about indiviualism and challenge and doing something different a point that all those third rate bands completely missed...
    thanks for posting and the John Tobler interview

    ReplyDelete
  3. 2Dray/
    Don't thank me thank Stan...look fuck it - nobody reads this blog..Dray you remember Bollocks Bros Jock McDonald? Well between me and him, this interview did get out to the masses(?) I think we cld afford 500 copies!
    Regards/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Mona. I have read the transcript for this show but never been able to track down a recording. I'm delighted I found your link over at longys blog youve made my night.

    WMHP

    ReplyDelete
  5. 2Anon/WMHP
    Just left a note for you over there...suspect that you have it already, but I wld love to hear that RC interview again!
    Regards/

    ReplyDelete