Friday 18 June 2010

Interesting...

David Toop (on FB says): 
"Finally got around to watching The Road last night - somewhat lethargic reaction until the moment when I heard my own recording of a Yanomami shaman used as part of the sound design (or was it Nick Cave's music?) in the 'cannibal cellar' scene. Two questions spring to mind:1. did I record one of the scariest sounds eve...r?2. what do I feel about my recording being 'sampled' (as we used to say) for a Hollywood film?"

The saga continues...
 David Toop commented on his status:
"The ethics are quite complicated. I've done a fair bit of sampling myself in the past, so it would be hypocritical to be 'outraged', plus it's not my music, just my recording. But I agree with Allison - it's Hollywood and there's something distasteful about sound designers picking up morsels from obscure places for effect, particularly when the effect is too strong for them to achieve by themselves. But I also take Greta's point - yes, I did feel a thrill. I only wish the film had been better. It's my least favourite Cormac McCarthy book anyway, but the music and general sentimentality drag it down. There's an inability to look into the void, except perhaps in that moment in the cannibal cellar, so I'm pleased that my recording abets that sensation but displeased to receive no credit for it. I ordered the CD - if it's on there as well then my attitude might change."
"Hah, those complicated ethics . . . well I guess it would seem more like the soundtrack music so somehow 'owned' by Nick Cave, rather than just foley, but I'm not entirely satisfied by that answer. Tim Niblock made an interesting point on another post - corporations taking draconian measures against so-called piracy online are free to exercise their own power by stealing obscure material when it suits them. That really is hypocrisy."

No comments:

Post a Comment