Saturday 15 September 2012

Steve Albini VS Amanda Palmer VS Steve Albini (Part 3)

Steve Albini's follow up comments from EA's messageboard:
"Well, since the new journalism is just re-posting what other people have lifted from message boards and twitter, there are probably going to be a hundred or so stories on the web with headlines like "Steve Albini calls Amanda Palmer an Idiot," so I'd better make my position on that clear. I don't think Amanda Palmer is an idiot, and it was rude and sloppy of me to make that impression. I'm sorry Amanda Palmer, the internet is going to tell you that I think you're an idiot, and while that's not true, it's my fault.
I Don't know Amanda Palmer, and don't recall ever hearing her music, though I hear a lot of music. Full disclosure, my wife Heather once tried to contact her through her agents to see if she would play at a charity event, but I don't know what happened with that other than nothing happened.
I have no problem with bands using participant financing schemes like Kickstarter and such. I've said many times that I think they're part of the new way bands and their audience interact and they can be a fantastic resource, enabling bands to do things essentially in cooperation with their audience. It's pretty amazing actually.
It should be obvious also that having gotten over a million dollars from such an effort that it is just plain rude to ask for further indulgences from your audience, like playing in your backing band for free.
Fuck's sake a million dollars is a shitload of money. How can you possibly not have a bunch laying around after people just gave you a million dollars? I saw a breakdown about where the money went a while ago, and most everything in it was absurdly inefficient, including paying people to take care of spending the money itself, which seems like a crazy moebius strip of waste."
Via
Okay to be honest I can't stand Albini or Palmer but Albini is right this time. She really is just taking the piss! Anybody who says "it's more insulting to offer someone a little bit of money than no money" has too much money.

No comments:

Post a Comment