Friday 20 April 2012

Lucinda on Levon

A little over a year ago, Levon Helm invited me to open two shows for him in Toronto.
Well aware of my Louisiana heritage, he enthusiastically let it be known that he and his band had worked up a version of "Crescent City" and asked if I would sing that song with them and also sit in on "Evangeline". I'll never forget Levon's ear to ear grin as we played those songs.The short time I spent with him over those two nights left a deep and lasting impression on me.
I heard the sad news today and I am in tears as I write this. I lost a hero and a friend. His music inspired and influenced me during my early years and still does, to this day. And now that I've been honored to have spent some time with Levon, I have to say that I will always remember him with a twinkle in his eyes, a smile as warm and friendly as his native Arkansas land and an endearing and infectious spirit that will live on forever.
Thank you for your musical lessons, Levon. Rave on, brother.
- Lucinda Williams

No comments:

Post a Comment