Sunday 10 April 2011

Why, Kate? WHY?

So, Kate Bush has a new album - Director's Cut - on the way. It'll contain re-recorded versions of a selection of songs from from The Sensual World (1989) and The Red Shoes (1993) and the first single from it - Deeper Understanding - is up on YouTube. And, having been looking forward to some new tunes from KB, I have to say I think it's a real disappointment but y'all can make up your own minds:

Sorry, Kate, but it really doesn't do anything for me. Maybe I'm unimpressed because it's my favourite song on my favourite album of hers and didn't really think it needed another version - but mostly it's the autotune that I think spoils it. It may be The Law Of The Music Biz that all pop albums in 2011 must have at least one track with it on, but if there was ever an effect that I thought was old from the first time I heard it (Cher's Believe), it's autotune.
So here's another old track - not by Kate Bush - to relieve my disappointment: Marina & The Diamonds I Am Not A Robot (Starsmith's 24 Carat Mix):

Where was I, before I got sidetracked by a wave of meh? Oh yes. All the news that's fit to pront. Kate Bush's new album Director's Cut is slated for release on 16 May 2011 and the tracklist (according to Wikipedia) is:
1. Flower of the Mountain
2. Song of Solomon
3. Lily
4. Deeper Understanding
5. The Red Shoes
6. This Woman's Work
7. Moments of Pleasure
8. Never Be Mine
9. Top of the City
10. And So is Love
11. Rubberband Girl
I'm just hoping that the remakes of Never Be Mine and This Woman's Work (in particular) actually do something new with the originals. Something that's not autotuned...

7 comments:

  1. autotune is used creatively to make it sound like a computer singing (kate's son, albert). it's brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 2kj/
    Hmmm! For the real sound of a computer singing with NO fugn autotune, give this a whirl!
    Regards/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Helen
    "Kate Bush is the Stanley Kubrick of recorded music" and she can do what even the fuck she wants and still be much better then the rest.
    I still have very high hopes for of the 'Director's Cut'

    ReplyDelete
  4. obviously she is and will be the best one!...
    But I´m very dissapointed with the album idea, new versions, etc...No reason to do this instead of NEW stuff.. after 6 more years waiting!. I don´t like the new DU, the original one is perfect and such superior than this remake that I hear like "empty". I´ve just heard a clip from Lily, and it´s almost like the original version...??. So...I guess EMI people is the problem. It sounds like a commercial trick for me. We´ll always love Kate, but this album is very bad idea...

    ReplyDelete
  5. 2Gabriel/
    I guess in the end we are gonna have to wait and see...
    Regards/

    ReplyDelete
  6. But don't you think this is just symptomatic of our lazy culture nowadays? Why make a new and original and innovative film/tv show/whatever if you can redo something old? Why make a new album when you can Glee things up? I don't know what KB's motivation is but I find myself very fed up with our post-modern culture of recycling.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I´ve just heard all Director´s cut preview stuff...and now I am really very disappointed. Everything sounds flat, no risk, no magic, no mistery...The most innovative artist transformed into a generic artist. Anyway...I love you Kate!!

    ReplyDelete