Wednesday 6 April 2011

Remember Marvin Gaye (Documentary)

In 1981, Marvin Gaye, the all time champion of soul music, took refuge in Ostend, a little town located on the Belgian coast. Marvin’s choice to lay anchor in Ostend was totally unexpected, not to say incredible. On the fact of it, there was no reason for this charismatic character to come and live in the home town of famous Belgian impressionistic painter James Ensor.
Marvin nevertheless remained in Ostend for nearly two years. He went back to the States to receive a Grammy Award for his latest album “Sexual Healing”. He died in Los Angeles on 1 April 1984, shot dead at home by his own father, a clergyman. Twenty years after the making of a first 29 minute film entitled “Marvin Gaye Transit Ostend”, I decided to make this second documentary film. It’s my way of bringing to life the picture Marvin Gaye dedicated to me:
“To Richard, From my heart, I thank you for legitimising my artist soul, and above all, I thank you my artist friend for making me immortal”.
Thanks to the use of new technology, unedited rushes and interviews in Ostend of this great American singer were used to make “Remember Marvin Gaye” a poignant and exceptional testimony on this genius of Rhythm and Blues music, who died tragically at the age of 44.
(Richard Olivier - writer 6 director)

via

No comments:

Post a Comment