Wednesday 31 March 2010

Wine cask inventor dead at 92

The inventor of the wine cask, South Australian Riverland grape grower Thomas Angove, has died in Renmark, aged 92.
Mr Angove revolutionised wine packaging in the 1960s when he created the resealable plastic bag in a cardboard box.
His son, managing director of Angove Wines John Angove, says his father was a great contributor to the wine industry.
"I remember dad coming home with this sort of prototype of a plastic bag inside a cardboard box and I remember thinking to myself and I probably said it to dad 'That's crazy, nobody will buy wine in a plastic bag stuck inside a cardboard box', but in his usual manner he persisted," he said.
"He thought he was onto a good thing and history certainly indicates that he was.
"His commitment and involvement in industry matters and industry bodies and the welfare of the industry overall, as opposed to just Angove family winemakers, was very significant and I think reflects his very broad vision of what the world and life was all about."

Thomas Angrove - I raise a glass of fruity lexia in your honour...(hic!)

No comments:

Post a Comment