Thursday 2 April 2009

Absolutely the worst album I have heard for years

I can't stand 'Sgt. Peppers'. Don't understand why it is often (still) voted the best album of all time. Twee sentimentality, cod mysticism, music hall numbers and Ringo Starr. Jesus, I would have left home too.
So now the Easy Star All Stars (after full reggae versions of 'Dark Side of the Moon' and 'OK Computer') have turned to this. Despite the calibre of some of the artists involved: Michael Rose, The Mighty Diamonds, Luciano, Max Romeo etc. this is just a complete aural abortion. And why do I find it hard to picture any of the artists rolling up a large number and settling down to listen to Sgt. Peppers at the end of a hard day in the studio?
So this begs the question who is this designed for? Blokes in their sixties who still think that punk was the end of good music or young college kids just discovering the joys of dope and how well reggae and it go together. There is some great reggae music out there but this is certainly not an example of it.
As for the Easy Star All Stars, 'Dub Side of the Moon' sort of worked and I am afraid I am not a fan of the original version of that either. It always struck me as the perfect album for the time as stereo moved into more and more homes. I feel that the Floyd worked more on the FX and stereo separation than the words and tunes of the songs, which I was under the impression had been more important until then.
'Radiodread', sort of OK. White guys with dreads who go to college probably like it much more than me!
The Easy Star All Stars are playing at the Corner Hotel in Melbourne on April 11. I won't be there.

7 comments:

  1. HMMMMMMMMMM just from looking at the cover was Stanley on there??? lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. so I take it that you are not fond of it?? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. HAHAHAHAHA Go On! I Love a good ol rant!
    Lazy

    ReplyDelete
  4. 2Sumobaby:NO
    2Kevin:NO
    2LAZY:Ha! Don't get me started...
    Regards/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Easy now! - Different strokes for different folks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know there is only two sorts of music, music I like and music I don't! Bollocks, to like this album you would either have to be so stoned that you had turned into a vegetable and had none of your senses left or you have absolutely no idea of the difference between good and bad reggae. They all sound the same eh?
    Regards/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Actually Mona, I'm with you. The Radiodread album had some laffs but this piss-poor dribble, which we had on in the Friendsound office on Friday, just sucks Satan's cock.

    Tell it like it is.

    Stefan M— @ Friendsound

    ReplyDelete