Monday 1 December 2008

All The Rage - Bob Ostertag and the Kronos Quartet (1993)


"Bob Ostertag's "All the Rage" turned the evening on its head with a devastating roar of gay anger.
Of recent concert pieces having to do with AIDS, "All the Rage" seems by far the most powerful example.
Mr. Ostertag's stern, purifying gaze has swept away the sentimentality and melodrama that have compromised more famous compositions in the genre."
- The New York Times

You can download this album for free from Bob Ostertag's website here.
Its sister album 'Burns Like Fire' here.
There is also live recording partly from the ICA in London, 'Voice of America' featuring Bob Ostertag, Fred Frith and Phil Minton here.
(A gig I actually attended back in 1981.)

"...A few months later Fred and I were in London for a concert. Moments before going on, my synthesizer was destroyed in a technical mishap. I was left with my cassette set-up and a contact mic I either kept between my teeth or used to amplify various toys. Fred had brought only a piece of wood with a few screws at either end and guitar strings strung between them. With my synthesizer still smoking, we hastily recruited Phil Minton out of his seat in the audience and without any time for discussion began the set that became Voice of America Part 2."

Bob has a blog at 'The Huffington Post' here.

No comments:

Post a Comment